Guidelines for All Applicants
- Successful applicants will teach the course to one or more sections of students
- CS Discoveries: 6th - 10th grades
- CS Principles: 9th - 12th grades
- Successful applicants will attend, at a minimum, the workshops of the Professional Learning Program that correspond with the units they plan to teach in 2020-21.
- The applicant's school intends to offer the course in the 2020-21 school year.
- The applicant has not previously participated in the Code.org Professional Learning Program for which they are applying.
- This course will be the first time CS is being offered as a course at the applicant's school, OR this course will expand the CS offerings at the applicant's school and does not replace a similar CS course.
- Applicants teaching CSP as an AP® course will be prioritized over non-AP CSP courses.
CS Scholarship Requirements
To qualify for a scholarship, the teacher's school must meet at least one of the following requirements also
- Greater than or equal to 50% of the school's population are underrepresented minorities in CS.
- For schools designated as non-rural, greater than or equal to 50% of the school's population are eligible for free and reduced lunch meals.
- For schools designated as rural, greater than or equal to 40% of the school's population are eligible for free and reduced lunch meals.
About the Program
Whether you are new to teaching computer science (CS) or have experience teaching other CS courses, the AdvanceKentucky Professional Learning Program is designed to promote growth by providing space for you to become familiar with curricular materials, CS content, and pedagogy. The program supports teachers with diverse teaching backgrounds as they prepare to teach either of the following courses:
- (AP®) Computer Science Principles for Grades 9-12: For high school teachers, grades 9-12, AdvanceKentucky offers intensive, high-quality professional development for the Code.org CS Principles curriculum.
- Computer Science Discoveries for Grades 6-10: For middle or high school teachers, grades 6-10 AdvanceKentucky offers intensive high-quality professional development for the Code.org CS Discoveries curriculum.
AdvanceKentucky has aligned the Kentucky Academic Standards for Computer Science with the Code.org curriculum. For a PDF of this standards alignment, click on one of the course links below:
These documents are also available on our resource page.